Write what you want to write, not what others are reading
My debut book is being published by Hay House India and here are ten tips which I blindly followed to get my manuscript to the other side of the table.
1. Write what you want to write, not what others are reading. And don’t worry about genre because your book will categorize itself.
2. Write with complete honesty.
3. Edit, edit and edit!
4. Edit some more.
5. Keep reading and re-reading your manuscript every alternate day to see if it’s the book you would pick from a library or a bookshop and read or buy.
6. Research and learn about the publishing industry.
7. Target small to medium-sized publishing houses if you are a debut author like me. Target those houses which publish the same genre as your book.
Edit, Edit, and Edit!
8. Read about query letters and book proposals and spend some time creating the best ones you can.
9. Keep it simple. Don’t get too creative with query letters unless you are extremely confident about it.
10. Believe in yourself and your manuscript. After all, you have worked too hard for it.